Monday, June 29, 2009

The Cherry Lola Treatment, A Review

Ingredients

16 ounces of plain yoghurt
2 tbsp of baking soda
2 tbsp of liquid aminos

All mixed up together to rise in a bowl, the consistency ended up being rather watery, not like the mud consistency of the bentonite clay mixture. I had quite a good amount, more than enough to saturate my hair, as she recommends on her site.


Process

First, I washed my hair with Garnier's shampoo+ conditioner for colored hair, detangling it with my fingers so it wouldn't tangle once the treatment was in.


Then I applied the treatment with my hands, working through in sections and detangling as I went. Because my mixture was so watery, it got a little messier than I anticipated, but it saturated my hair quite well.


About half-way through, I ran into quite a problem. Poofy started feeling quite brittle and started tangling, despite all the sectional finger detangling I had been doing. Instead of my fingers running through my hair as they would with a conditioner, the treatment made my hair stick together and start feeling hard. The last time my hair felt like that was when I left a leave-in conditioner in for way too long, and it's not a good feeling.


You're supposed to leave the treatment in for about 10 minutes at least, but Poofy was reacting badly, feeling all stiff and knotted, so I rinsed it out after about a minute or two of it sitting in. I then conditioned it with a mix I made that consists of conditioner, honey, lemon juice, and coconut oil.

Outcome

This is the curl definition before I conditioned it-


And after-


All in all, I think my hair needs way more moisture than is in the treatment, which isn't surprising because my first bentonite treatment needed to be revised to include more moisture as well. The curl definition honestly wasn't that crazy, but it's my first time using both liquid aminos and yoghurt, so I'm not sure how Poofy would have reacted to them anyway.


All in all, I'd say the treatment didn't work as well as I'd hoped on my texture, although it did bump up the curl definition a bit. I'd definitely try it again, but I would add some honey and oils to see if that fixes the drying/tangling problem. I'm not sure if altering the ratio of yoghurt:aminos would help....or maybe it was the baking soda....

Anyway, we'll see. Let me know how the treatment worked for you and if you made any alterations, etc!


Peace out, curlies!
Z

4 comments:

monia said...

Hey there,
I have tried this treatment and have not gotten any great result, the mixture is very runny and makes a big mess for no result. I also tried the baking soda/conditioner treatment from littlegoldenlamb blog and that was the bomb. love, love, love it. You should try it, here is the link: http://littlegoldenlamb.wordpress.com/2009/01/31/baking-soda-and-the-bombshell/
Hope you enjoy and let me know!

Shoshoni said...

I've tried the original Cherry Lola Treatment and had okay results.It was a bit too runny for me.

I tried it again, but replaced the yogurt with HE Totally Twisted conditioner.It made the mixture much thicker, my curls were still defined, but my hair was much softer.

Anonymous said...

I found this site using [url=http://google.com]google.com[/url] And i want to thank you for your work. You have done really very good site. Great work, great site! Thank you!

Sorry for offtopic

Owl said...

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be used on dry hair and works as a shampoo so you don't have to use one. That might be the reason it got dried out like that. I am usually pretty protein sensitive , but I recently used a modified version of the CLT. I didn't use amino acids. I just used greek yogurt, honey, olive oil, and baking soda. Basically, I just added a couple of healthy shakes of baking soda to my homemade deep conditioning treatment. I also did sunnen a little different than most...I hopped under the dryer for about 30 minutes. After I rinsed my hair, I followed up with my regular deep conditioner to get any remaining treatment residue out. My hair is definitely hanging longer and is super soft.